Monday, October 12, 2009

Chapter 3

Much of this blog is going to be pretty cut and dry; this chapter deals with the transformation and understanding of learning and knowledge from the late nineteenth century till now. The question I chose to answer is: Explain constructivism and how it affects teaching and learning today.


Constructivists believe that individuals learn by their own processes; how one learns depends on past experiences and thought processes. Constructivists support student-based learning, rather than a teacher showing the students how to singularly process information. I believe that the flourish of technology in the classroom largely depends on constructivism. Technology creates tools that can be adapted to many applications; personalization of expression and interest through subject areas is made possible by programs and technologies used in the classroom today. Here are some examples of new learning environments created by constructivism:
  • Student-centered Instruction
  • Multi-sensory stimulation
  • Multi-path Progression
  • Multimedia
  • Collaborative Work
  • Information Exchange
  • Critical thinking and decision making
  • Proactive or planned action
  • Authentic real-world text
The constructivist style of teaching is one that I support; however I question how this approach, which aims to socialize, stimulate, and civilize students can be incorporated into subjects such as home-ec, shop, and all those other silly classes I was required to take in middle/high school? How can a teacher apply authentic real world-applications of carving a key from a scroll saw? Obviously my failure to see the purpose of requirement of these classes for students still lingers. I guess I am only asking this question because I really do not have any questions about this section that are on the tip of my tongue.

To refute my positive view of constructivism for a second I shall recall every single math class I have taken. (I have actually taken alot of math because I was originally a pre-med major). I understand that learning how to solve math problems extends beyond the graph paper; solving math problems exercises many important thought processes and specific areas of the brain. As every math student I have raised my hand in class and asked where the hell am I ever going to need to know how to solve impossibly hard and lengthy math problems. The teachers always say that someday somewhere you are going to need to know how to work through problems, be numbers or otherwise. Constructivism has enabled the world of math to incorporate real-world examples into wordy math questions. For me, I really think that this application of worldly terms farther confuses many students. If math is really just about learning processes of problem solving, why bog down each question with trains, boats, bacteria, and rockets? I do not have an answer. Besides the math realm, I am in support of Constructivism.

2 comments:

jcook said...

5/5 You have such good thinking and application of topics to your own experiences! Thank you! I imagine you will be an interesting, challenging, exciting teacher with a constructivist view!

jcook said...

Add your reflection for ch 11. I enjoy reading how you apply the ideas to your own teaching and ch 11 is a good one!
Joan