Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chapter 8

Clarify actions that are important in each of the multimedia design process phases.

The phases that are described in the text are almost solely based upon designing a video-based project. However, elements of the pre- and post-production are vital in creating a successful concept map or powerpoint presentation. The Purpose of the preproduction phase is to establish and conceptualize the main story line (or core idea) of the project. Actions: students are to individually generate ideas and then be placed into groups where they can use each others thoughts and ideas to create a central image of how the project should turn out. This process establishes a unified backbone for the project without introducing the elements of technology. This phase also includes the collect of permission slips. The production phase is defined by the multimedia technology choice. The transfer of ideas from the preproduction stage to the multimedia of choice happens in this phase. As far as powerpoint and mind maps go, selection of graphics/sound clips begins in this section. For movies, production includes the standards for recording. These standards should be included in the grading guidelines. Actions: After all clips are shot, editing software is used to piece together the clips; then students are to then analyze their merging of clips and see if they coincide with the guidelines for the project. Finally, in postproduction, students are to present their movies, mind maps, or powerpoints. Actions: Students are too realize the importance of the environment of their presentations. For example, when showing a movie the atmosphere of a light or dark room can help create a certain mood. Students who are presenting powerpoints and mind maps must be careful not to only recite information from the visual aid.

Multiple experiences with a multimedia application are essential for the learning process.
I understand what this quote is saying and the value of multimedia enriched students but I also disagree about how this section goes about creating technology literate students in an ever-advancing society. Learning how to use a digital camera is important because there are so many applications in the real world for this, but I do not believe that programs should not try to shove almost in-applicable technologies in certain subjects. I do believe that knowing how to fluently use a video editing program is a valuable skill; I am not sure if this section implies it but I don't think that teachers should spend too much time in class making sure everyone can fluently edit videos (simply because it would take too much time). Smartboards, Digital Tablets, pulse pens, ebooks, the web, powerpoints, digital mind maps, are all valuable technologies in an English classroom and I think that projects should merge with these technologies.

My experiences with powerpoints and movie making were mediocre during my extended stay at Charles M. Russell High. My chemistry teacher would cram too much information onto her powerpoints; when powerpoints are crammed from top to bottom with information and terms, I tend to focus on merely copying down every word rather than how I am supposed to be digesting the information present. Because of this teacher, I hated powerpoints. Further down the road my English teacher used them how they are most efficiently used. She did not cram each slide too much information; she rather referred to her powerpoints for main points and definitions if needed. As far as movies go, I only had to make two movies in high school. Movies are a great way to visualize the interpretation and understanding of a subject matter between teacher and students. Rules and directions for shooting and editing were definitely addressed and I did not find it too hard to actually sit in front of the computer and piece everything together. My teacher did not spend too much time on the actual specifics of editing and the technology based quality of the film itself. When used in the right context, multimedia applications are a great catalyst for discussion, learning, and knowledge.

1 comments:

jcook said...

6/5 Eric--your are applying what you have read to what you are thinking about in your own teaching and experiences!! Excellent! You will experience the importance of preproduction this week! Hope all went well for you last week.